- 10 tops tip for finding the right builder
1. Check a builder is in a trade body – the Federation of Master Builders, the Guild of Builders and Contractors, or the National Federation of Builders;
2. Ask for references and check them out;
3. Ask about a builder’s experience and qualifications;
4. Check whether the builder uses sub-contractors;
5. Does the builder have insurance if something goes badly wrong?
6. Always ask for a detailed quote, checking how long the price is guaranteed for;
7. Draw up a contract if the work you require is substantial;
8. Agree phases of work and stage-payments;
9. Ask a council inspector to check the work meets building regulations;
10. Keep a final payment until the work is complete and snags rectified.